Xylem Studios

A brief history and the future™

TL;DR

I made software. My domain got stolen. I'm open-sourcing everything. It's all gonna be on GitHub (soon-ish).

So what's the deal with this?

Xylem Studios was a website I made for fun which hosted free-as-in-beer software. It used to operate over at the xylemstudios.com domain (note: as of the time of this writing, this domain has been in control of a domain parking company). It wasn't very popular, but it did get some attention from freeware download websites and began receiving about ~1000 unique visitors of monthly traffic. This last fact made it "a big deal", of sorts.

However as I mentionned earlier, the domain has been in control by a company (go look at the WHOIS if you want to know) and is being parked. I tried getting it back, but their asking price of 10,000$ is simply too much for what was esentially a hobby project. Hence this new domain name! If you're interested, you can view the original website on the Wayback Machine.

I know I'm probably not getting the domain back, and I don't mind. The only use I would have for it is verifying the commits I made on some open-source repositories a long time ago. Instead what I can do, and what I am going to do, is open-source all of the Xylem Studios branded software, hoping it will be useful to you in one way or another.

Who are you?

My name is Pierre and I'm a software developer! Computers have been my passion ever since I was a child, and making these programs was a part of my learning experience as a developer. For a very long time I simply refused to put the code online, not because I thought the source had any value, but because I was afraid of what people might think of my old code written in my teenage years.

Today, I work at a fantastic company and also do some freelancing work on the side. I am focusing on recovering a lot of my old code that comes from that learning period, and putting it online.

Will you be updating all of this software?

Probably not. These were written for the .NET Framework 3.5, and are not easily ported to Mono for cross-platform compatibility. What I am thinking about however is using the C++ skills I have acquired over the years to rewrite these projects and make them work on more than just Windows.

By the way, pull requests are welcome! While I may not actively work on them or even support these small programs, if you have some new features in mind and would like to contribute to the code, feel free to do so :)

If you can't code, but you do spot a bug, please file an issue! If it's not too time-consuming, I'll put out a fix for it. Any bit helps!

Show me the code!

I'm slowly (but surely) getting around to releasing the code. Like I said, I'm still a bit afraid of what people might think of this code, and even if it's old code and it doesn't really matter a whole lot, there's some cleanup I'd like to do before moving along with a full-blown public release.

You can find everything so far on GitHub!